Victim of Love

The thoughts and prayers of a soul who deeply desires to Love God as He Himself desires to be Loved.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Our heart longs for God

Like Saint Paul I can say, "I have not already reached perfection, but this I do: forgetting what lies behind, and stretching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the prize to which I am called in the life to come." He also compares life to a race. And what a long race it is! But what a prize! The prize is no less than the possession of God Himself who is the fulfillment of all the desires and longings of our hearts!

I challenge you all to a holy competition. Let us see who can LOVE more! I dare you to take up the challenge and begin today to try and live every moment for Him who is the only One who is worthy of our LOVE. We can do only very little things, but how generously every little thing we do for LOVE is rewarded! And we usually have to do those very little things anyway... So why not do them for LOVE? For example, this morning, when I folded my clothes I said, "For thee, dear Lord." Or when I made dinner, "For thee, dear mother." (Since Jesus is so pleased when we honor His Holy Mother.) And before I began typing I knelt down in front of the picture I have of Our Lady and the Child Jesus, prayed a Hail Mary, and asked her to do good through me. Later, when I play "Hi, Ho Cherry O!" with my four year old, - even though I really, really don't want to - I will do it for LOVE. Such little insignificant things, but it makes Our Lord smile! Not to mention the graces poured out upon my family and (I dare say) the whole world! Even when I do things I really, really like to do - like read ancient history to my 10 and 11 year olds for history today - I do it all for LOVE. But how can we be filled with LOVE when our hearts are filled with things of the world?

Saint Augustine said, "God means to fill each one of you with what is good; so cast out what is bad! If he wishes to fill you with honey and you are full of sour wine, where is the honey to go? The vessel must be emptied of its contents and then be cleansed. Yes, it must be cleansed even if you have to work hard and scour it. It must be made fit for the new thing." So when we decide to work for LOVE, we have to get rid of all the bad things we are attached to so that we can receive the LOVE we want to work for. We can aquire this detachment little by little. Pick one thing and start with that. That's what we, as Catholics, do during lent. We give up things we are attached to so that we can become more attached to God and He can fill that empty space with Himself. Saint Augustine compares God to honey and the bad habits we have with sour wine. But he goes on to say that "whatever we say cannot express the glorious reality that is God." Whatever we say about God is always necessarily less than the full truth! It is mind boggling to try to imagine the beauty, sweetness, majesty, etc, etc, etc. of God! Nothing we can think of will ever reach the AWESOME reality! My favorite example is that of a LOVER... what pleasure we have when we love someone who is beautiful, intelligent, kind, caring, rich, has everything we ever dreamed of and we find out that that person loves us back with all his heart! What bliss! Multiply that to the millionth power and that doesn't even compare with what union with God is!

"Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has the heart of man conceived what God has prepared for those who LOVE Him."

"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your heart's desire"

14 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home